I'm a music girl. No I don't mean that I sing, play an instrument, or have talent in the field. But music ministers to my soul like nothing else.
Most of us would say that a well timed song with a theme relating to a place in our lives, will hold special meaning to us. But do you feel music? Does a random song on the radio have the power to make you cry without warning (and not just when you're feeling hormonal)? Have you ever been at a stop light entranced in a song (not because the volume was deafening you to all else) and had the car behind you snap you back into reality with the honk of a horn? If so, maybe you feel music as I do.
My favorite type of music is definitely Christian. Right now there are so many phenomenal Christian artists with such powerful messages about faith. I have to admit that my radio station and CD changer are tuned only to Christian stuff 99% of the time, after listening to that type of music I just don't see the point of so much of the modern stuff. (Well, except for an occasional Don Williams song.) Despite that, I am able to find songs in just about every genre that have meaning to me. Everything from the teenage days of Debbie Gibson's "I get lost in your eyes", to the college days of Hootie and the Blowfish's "Hold my hand", or wedding songs like Shania Twain's "From this moment", bring me back to a place in life that is worth revisiting.
Having said all of that, there is one song that is the anthem of my life. It speaks so clearly of what I feel about the life I lead. Every time that I hear it tears form in my eyes and the words get caught up in my throat. It is a message that resonates from my heart.
I found it on YouTube, it is Sara Evans singing, "Could not ask for more". The video is a bit disappointing because it is just her being sexy for the camera man, but if you close your eyes and see the home movie of your life being played out as you listen, you'll see why I love it. Enjoy.
17 comments:
It's funny you make that post today. Last night my mom and I were driving home from Sioux Falls and "Wind Beneath My Wings" came on. We were both instantly brought to tears at the thought of my grandparents (her parents). That song gets me every time.
Love music and probalby read way more deeply into it than anyone should :) You know what my purity song was before i got married!! You are going to laugh :) "i gotta have faith" by George Michael HAH!
I would rock out to it in my room and get all amped on purity. LOL.
I think we were created to be moved by music. During praise and worship I feel closer to God than almost any other time. I can pour my heart out to Him in a way that I cannot without music.
Beautiful song by the way. I can see why you love it. I've never heard it before.
Music is a big part of my life too. When I hear old songs I can always remember where I was or what I was doing when I heard it last.
Songs pop into my head with words that I need to hear right at that moment. I love how our Lord works.
I love this song too. I wish I had a good singing voice like Sara. Only when I'm in my vehicle by myself is my singing voice at it's best - well, that's what I tell myself anyway.
I am not a huge country fan but one song that brings tears to my eyes right now is the song from Tim McGraw. Its on the movie Flicka and I think its called Beautiful Baby Girl. I get teary eyed right now just thinking about it. Plus most worship music touches the depths of my soul. I know you have the CD from Adrienne also and I love the song by Sam Camp "To the Cross". I usually listen to that every day on my way to work!!!
I too love to hear songs that take me back. One that you mentioned from this moment, of course brings the memories of your wedding but the one that really does it is the song that you picked for the Father/daughter dance Louis Armstrong's "What a wonderful world". What ever I am doing I just stop and listen to the words.
I am like you and really FEEL music. And like Ginger said, I also tend to feel closer to God during a time of singing and worship.
I don't know that I have a life anthem, but right now I am really loving the David Crowder Band. I do like the song you chose. I have that song on my ipod for listening to at the gym! Sara Evans has some really great music.
You know I'm a music girl. I live and breath music and love singing to almost anything. The music that touches me deeply, however, is sacred music like "Ave Maria" and "Panis Angelicus." It's not because I'm a classical music snob; it's because these are the types of songs I learned when I was a member of a children's choir oh-so-long-ago. I must admit, though, that I'm really loving Point of Grace, Joy Williams and Mercy Me these days.
I really enjoy MUSIC as well. Most of the time it is just the radio and when asked who sings what song...I could never tell you. I am not good with artists...just a combination of a bunch of songs!!
Love that song by Sara...
Thanks for sharing!
Put me in with the music lovers. I love David Ingles music. All his songs are based on THE WORD so you are putting God's Word inside you everytime you listen to them. He is local here in Tulsa so I don't know if his work is known in other parts of the country or not. I'd be curious to know that from some of you.
In the time of ipods I find it so wonderful that my entire music library can fit into my pocket, to be enjoyed anywhere. And even-though we didn't have much in the lines of music lessons per se, some of my earliest memories are that of dad quizzing me. "Who is this?" "Do you know who sings this?" etc. I really appreciate the music knowlege he nurtured.
I have over 2000 songs in my ipod. With each song sorted to a genre, I can flip to (in the words of the characters in the SNL cheerleader skits) "the perfect cheer" or song. When I have the ipod on total random I can't help but belt out with Josh Grobin singing "You Raise Me Up."
Music is definately a gift from God. From the old hymns to the most contemporary praise rock, it truely is an awesome way to afirm your faith and express your adoration for your creator.
My sister sang "From this moment" at my wedding. I love that song.
Ok I'm rolling about Nic's comment...
I had "How Beautiful" by Twila Paris sung at my wedding. What was even cooling is that a husband and wife duo sang it together. I get all teary eyed when I listen to their cd and hear them sing that song!
I love that Sara Evans song too.
I also love to listen to music.
That's a moth?! Eeeeew! jk
Your blog is still very beautiful. Your son is incredibly observant.
Being formerly interested in moderately hard rock in my younger years and dedicated to serving Him despite being a sinner in my current situation in life, I am supremely pleased to hear some rockin' Christian tunes these days. God has used the talent of many Christian artists to appeal to almost all the preferred genres of all. He is amazing. God is good...all the time.
Post a Comment