Chad and I were able to experience something the other day that many of you do every day, but we have not in.....well, years. Parenting just TWO children.
Olivia, Kate, Andrew and I had the opportunity to drive Chad to a nearby town for some meetings, while Nic was in school. I thought that it would be a nice chance to spend a few extra hours of our day with dad (as he'd be captive with us in the car both directions) and an opportunity to run some errands and shop. We picked Chad up for an hour break and headed over to the Falls to spend some time outdoors enjoying the beautiful 60 degree weather.
As we pulled into Falls Park, Andrew konked out in his car seat. I was planning on waking him but his dad said that since we'd be so close to the van we could just pop in on him regularly and let him rest. (Don't call Child Protection Services on me, I'll deny it) So Chad and I headed out for some viewing with only TWO kids.
It felt odd right from the get go. I didn't have anyone pulling at my pant legs, and I actually had a free hand that just naturally remembered it's favorite place from long ago...entwined with my husband's. As Kate and Olivia bounded around the park Chad and I were able to have those 'imagine if' thoughts about what life would be like with only two kids. It was so nice to reconnect with my husband and it was obvious that he was thrilled with having more of my attention than he is used to.
It made us both keenly aware of what we have been missing and we were forced to admit something that we'd thought we would never have to...two kids are just not challenging enough for us:-)


27 comments:
and 2 is just about all i can handle right now! :) Everyone is different :) It looks like you guys had a good time, great pics!
Those pictures are simply wonderful!!
Sounds like you had a much-needed reconnecting time with your husband! How nice! The pictures are beautiful and it looks like your girls had a great time!
What great pictures! It's been awhile since I saw a waterfall!
Sounds like you had an amazing day - so glad you and Chad had some good time together.
Sounds like a great day! We go to the falls often and I enjoy it more and more every time! Two is all I can handle too! Plus daycare would be out of this world! My doctor said to me that you should have a date night every couple of weeks. Not only does he strive for healthy kids but healthy marriages too! He is a great doctor! Get a babysitter and have a date night all over again! Its great!
I can so relate!
The other day, the boys were in school and the girls and I met hubby for lunch. We only had the 2 little ones and we actually felt like we were on a date! LOL!
We have no family near us, so we don't have "babysitters" for us to go out on dates, but just taking the girls sure felt like a date. So much easier ... but it still didn't feel "right"! I think I was "supposed" to have 4 ... and now that I do ... I KNOW I'm done!
LOL!
Oh man two is all I can handle! Throw a couple more in the mix and I might have to be sent to the loony bin!
I totally understand what it's like to have a couple "missing". Sometimes Brylie and I just go to town and it is so nice to be able to actually take time to shop. Usually we are rushing through the store before someone breaks something or gets lost or something else!
So glad you had a fun day with the girls. Just imagine your life when your kids are less dependent on you. Honeymoon all over again! :)
It's a different world once the youngest starts gets to the age of being more self-sufficient. Don't you fear, my friend, that day will come before you know it. That foreign feeling you mentioned of not having the little one in tow may indicate one of those stages where you ask yourself, "Do I want to go through this baby thing one more time or am I DONE?". Well, that's how it happened for me anyway and we decided to have the one more baby making our total six--but now my youngest is FIVE YEARS OLD!!! It's very different. (Am I being controversial?)
Karen, aren't you supposed to be on vacation? There's a rule about commenting while on vacation I think...if not there should be:-) Kidding, thanks for the input...
To all of you with two- when I had two it was all I could handle. With each one God makes it 'all I can handle', so I just trust that He knows what He is doing.
Oh, J. Pendley, - Dr. Shives right? He is a great doctor, I realize that more now that I don't have him...however when he would say that to me at appointments I kindly asked what time I should drop off my kids at his home...:-)
That's what I always tell myself ... God doesn't give me any more than I can handle. (I just wish he wouldn't give me so much ... sometimes.)
Yes, Dr Shives was my kids' doctor when we lived in Watertown the first time. Now that we're back, we're going to pick up where we left off. I really liked him.
Thanks for sharing the photos! It looks like you had a wonderful time.
That is what I think also - two is a nice number for us.
I am so glad that the two of you had a semi-day off. You know, I know that a lot of couples find their most difficult years together are after all of the kids are out of the house. After years of giving all to their kids they realize that their relationship with their spouse is just not there. I have even heard it discribed the they realize that they are married to a stranger.
So whether you have one or ten make sure that the best relationship you have is with your team-mate. I do realize that the more kids you have the more difficult and expensive it becomes to find a sitter. Since the grandparents are all up around H2O-town you better start thinking of "date" ideas there. I may be like you kids are in highschool again.
I do think that the great thing about those little get-aways, is that you relish and enjoy the kids all the more. Mom and dads relationship is strengthened and you each have a fresh dose of patience to deal with the ankle-bitters.
I get exhaustsed with one. I couldn't even imagine having four. Cheers to you and Chad.
Looks and sounds like you all had a wonderful day!! Great pictures!
I like the slideshow "affect" (or is it "effect") hmmmm....
You had me a little nervous until the "punch line". God gives us the grace for what we need and for you it is 4. That is awesome that you embrace it and treasure it. Also nice to have some time with hubby. I know I've been needing some 'hubby time' too!
What great pictures!!!
So important to stay connected with the hubbies, huh? It's a joy parenting, but a vibrant marriage is equally as joyful.
(PS--The devotional you mentioned previously sounds great! What has impacted you the most in it?)
Is today the day to switch blog styles?? I didn't get the memo...HA!
VERY COOL!
Loved the little slide show!
Cute Kids! Fun! God is good...all the time!
Wonderful photos and what a great day. Our time with two less kids was when two moved 1200 miles away. Not so fun...lots of tears! Now my baby is getting ready to move out. Can I have one of yours?
Ginger,
Watch what you ask for ... Heidi might send you a dog, instead ... (haha).
Glad you had your 'date' in Sioux Falls. You are such a cute couple of 'newlyweds' ... well, aren't you?
Love, your Uncle A.
Love the new look! Very fun!
I agree with you about the Lord never giving us more than we can handle - with each pregnancy I thought to myself how is this going to work? After the third one, it seems like so much less work than when I just had one!
Glad you shared your date with us!
Post a Comment