Friday, March 02, 2007

Enduring

I have read many posts lately about the icy fingers of winter that are starting to choke and strangle out all signs of life within the inhabitants of the land.

Winter has flung her fury down from the skies as of late. Piling up mounds of powder fresh snow, blowing winds that cause the land to become one with the horizon. Reeking havoc on schedules and routine.

This is winter. This is a season of predictable unpredictability. As I sat grumbling, wishing away the day because I could not stand the thought of another just like it, God quietly and gently reminded me that this is Lent. A spiritual journey that leads us through the blizzards, the deserts, the barren lands into the paradise awaiting us.

I don't want it to be cold and dreary and blow-y...but I will appreciate the thaw and the melt and the new life that much more having come from such a place. I can not imagine Lent having the same effect for me if the sun was shining and the temperatures were pleasant. Being Jesus for my family was so much easier while out shoveling our snow packed and drifted drive-way. And seeing Jesus was so much easier when the neighbor boys piled out of their house on their 'snow day' to help me.

I wonder if sipping tea under the sun in my yard swing would have the same spiritual affect. Probably not. That day will come. God has promised us that. Right now He asks us to walk this walk with Him. To endure a bit more than we'd like to. To tolerate a bit more than is comfortable. To stretch ourselves a bit farther than what is easy.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen.

U.A.

Anonymous said...

Okay ... fine! :)

~ Amy ~ said...

As long as you put it that way.....:)

Amber said...

I decided that I love the snow today! It was so much fun plowing through the drifts in my 4 wheel drive this morning. I felt a little red neckish...but it was so much fun!

Just Mom said...

I love this weather. I love the way the snow brightens up the landscape, especially at night. I also love that they cancelled classes and my husband is home with Alex and me because of this weather.

Amber -- I get that way too with my 4-wheel drive. Be careful that you don't get too over-confident.

Debbie said...

Thanks for sharing this perspective, Heidi. I don't have bad winter weather to deal with -- just the season of winter in my personal life. A good reminder to be patient for spring. I like that analogy.

Lori said...

Thanks for sharing. You are very inspirational.
You are right I too should be thinking on the positive side of things instead of: I hate this weather and I'm so tired of this weather.

Susan said...

Wonderful and touching post.

Teresa said...

You know as much as I am itching to get out of the house, I have really been loving the beauty that the snow brings. Only our Lord can show us so much beauty every season of the year and the seasons of our life. I think God gives us times like this to slow down a little, enjoy the view, and reflect on our blessings.

Momma Roar said...

What a great perspective!

Janelle said...

hey there, we are being stretched at our house too!! good things WILL come of it I'm sure!

Anonymous said...

Heidi, Teresa, Janelle,

I was almost gonna subtract my "Amen" after the drifts blew a three feet snow block on my door.

But, your dear Dad and Uncle Dan shoveled me free today, so I could enjoy seeing the sunshine for the first day in ... ???

Life is beatiful in Clark, SD, if you just wait a little longer.

Love ya.

TO BECOME said...

It looks like a real winter where you live. I just can't imagine that much snow. It has been in the mid 70s here this week. Snow would be nice again. Connie from Texas