I am in the camp of people who have often thought about Lent, in terms of what I will deprive myself of. Thankfully, I have progressed over the years to challenge myself a tad more than I once did. Passing on the obvious, like no sweets or soda, and trying to go a bit deeper in my sacrifice. But still....it has been about depravity.
An empty pitcher.
This year, as I was reflecting, studying, and praying about the soon-to-be-here Lent, I was given an idea or image that was very spirit-stirring. I felt strongly prompted by the Holy Spirit to look deeper at this idea of depravity.
Instead of thinking about the loss and depravity of the worldly treats I would be offering up, I was prompted to think about how instead with that clutter gone---that noise---that clanking---that filter of worldliness, I would have more time, more room, more heart space for Christ. I wouldn't be depriving myself in anyway. I would be clearing the clutter for the good stuff. The really, really good stuff. How is that depravity? More of Christ? That is anything but depravity.
An over-flowing pitcher of living water.
Remember in The Lion King, when Rafiki takes Simba to the pond and tells Simba that he knows where his father is? But as Simba looks into the water, he sees only his own image reflecting back at him. Rafiki encourages him to "look harder" and then Simba sees his own image blur and blend to become that of his father.
That is what I am being called to this Lent....to 'look harder'. To go beyond these worldly vices that make me who I am and look deeper into that image and see the reflection of Christ there. To dump the junk to make room for the fresh flowing living water. And in that living water, see my Father reflected in me.
So what about you? Will you be joining me in this amazing journey---a journey not about what we are losing, but about what we are making room for?
No depravity here folks. Just clarity.
No comments:
Post a Comment